Top 10 updates – What’s new in SOLIDWORKS 2015?
More of my latest favorite topic – here are some top 10 updates about what’s new in SOLIDWORKS 2015.
1. New Product Development Workflows
- SOLIDWORKS Model Based Definition (MBD) enables drawingless product detailing with 3D PMI annotations; output to eDrawings® or 3D PDF
- SOLIDWORKS Treehouse provides visual assembly structure planning, creation, editing, and viewing
Prepare models automatically for export to popular AEC applications
Benefits: Reduce time to market and comply with new industry standards.
2. Integrated Capabilities Connect Design and Manufacturing
- SOLIDWORKS Inspection automates inspection drawings and reports
- SOLIDWORKS Costing supports sensors and costing of weldments, plastic/cast parts, machined castings, and 3D printed parts
Print directly to 3D printers in AMF and 3MF formats
- Use advanced techniques to flatten surfaces
Benefits: Speed up downstream manufacturing and bridge the gap between design and manufacturing.
3. SOLIDWORKS Performance
- File size reduced by ~50%
- Faster component patterning, and hide/show of assemblies
- SOLIDWORKS Simulation supports Intel® Solver and multi-core for contact detection
- Define specific graphic regions to render in PhotoView360
- SOLIDWORKS Enterprise PDM manages large data sets more efficiently
Benefits: Faster modeling, analysis, and rendering capabilities leaves more time to improve designs.
4. Part and Surface Modeling
- Sketch: Line from mid-point; rectangle with horizontal/vertical construction lines
- Splines: Improved Spline on Surface; convert Style Spline to Spline Points
- Patterns: Improved Fill, Linear, and Variable Pattern
- Advanced geometry: Asymmetric Fillets; split surfaces; sketch plane normal to view
Benefits: Create sketches, complex patterns, and advanced geometry faster and with less effort.
- Mates: Center components on faces; select geometry to limit Width Mate
- Routing for rectangular sections, e.g., HVAC ducts, cable trays and chutes
- Simulate roller/energy chains using patterns along open or closed loops
- Exploded View: Radially and along axis; space components on drag
Benefits: Faster and easier assembly of components.
Top 10 updates What’s New in Solidworks 2015
6. Drawing Improvements
- Track view locations with automated drawing sheet zone annotations
- Enhanced formatting control of drawing and table notes
- Omit layers from printing; use splines as leaders
- Improved angle dimensioning and command of decimal rounding
Benefits: Find drawing views faster, and experience more automation and control.
7. Design Simulation
- Predict product durability under dynamic loading and manage a combination of load conditions in SOLIDWORKS Simulation
- View nonlinear results during the solve in SOLIDWORKS Simulation to ensure convergence
- Rotating mesh regions in SOLIDWORKS Flow Simulation deliver enhanced simulation of rotating machinery
- SOLIDWORKS Plastics improves plastic part design with up-front Venting Analysis
Benefits: Simulate real-life scenarios to predict product performance prior to manufacturing.
8. Electrical Design
- Dynamic Connector tools simplify the design and use of connectors
- Advanced access to user-based controls for key tools
- In-line 3D routing diagnostics identifies and resolves routing issues
- Advanced Formula Manager provides access to system and mathematical variables in complex formulas
Benefits: Accelerate the development, creation, and integrity of electrical systems designs.
9. User Experience
- Dynamic Reference Visualization shows a graphical view of relationships between features
- Selection Sets let you select multiple entities and save for reuse
- Isolate components while editing in context within an assembly
- Temporarily preview hidden bodies or components from FeatureManager
Benefits: Work more efficiently and better understand / visualize design intent of your models.
10. Expand Communication and Collaboration
- SOLIDWORKS Enterprise PDM Web2 client connects browser-ready devices to a vault
- eDrawings now has a UI adapted for touchscreen, and supports SOLIDWORKS Plastics result plots
- MySolidWorks offers enhanced online learning and certification; ability to share/view designs online and research a global manufacturing network.
- Collaborative Sharing uses community-based social innovation to provide greater connectivity to SOLIDWORKS, eDrawings, and DraftSight®
Benefits: Expand the reach of design tools with faster, easier connections and better social collaboration – anytime, anywhere.